Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Scarfing It

Scarves are a somewhat mandatory part of being in Israel, at least for women when it is hot outside.  Many holy areas, for Jews, Muslims, and Christians require women cover their shoulders, chest to the collar bone, and legs past the knees.  A large scarf allows us to quickly cover ourselves when needed with our having to wear cumbersome long sleeves and pants constantly.  In the desert they can also provide sun protection.  I bought a large scarf for just such occasions.  Below I show off a few ways to wear it.
Ana and I model this style she learned in Tunisia.  The extra wrap around the face (meant to protect from blowing sand) can also be worn down the back in a cape-like fashion to protect the back and shoulders from the sun.  The wound scarf on the forehead provides a bill similar to a baseball cap that prevents the sun from shinning in through the top of my sunglasses.
This style allows for coving both shoulders and hair.  Covering your hair is not mandatory, but I felt out of place in some areas when I was the only woman with her hair out.  I also look like princess Jasmine from Aladdin. 
This style covering just my shoulders and chest is adequate for entrance to most holy areas.  It also provides sun protection in the desert, which is why I am wearing it in this photo.
The scarf styles here are so large they can even be worn as dresses and cover-ups for the beach, at least when it is not windy.

No comments:

Post a Comment