Tuesday, August 23, 2016

The Streets of Tel Aviv

Weekend before last, I took a trip up to Tel Aviv for fun. You might expect a post full of pictures of the beach:
The view north from Jaffa
Or perhaps these of the Carmel Market:




Shakshuka + beer = happy Dan
So there are those pictures. But more unexpected to me was all of the interesting street art I saw in the city, particularly in the morning when I walked from the neighborhood near my hostel to Yafo (Jaffa). As a native of the Los Angeles area, I became an admirer of the medium of street art at an early age. Tel Aviv is full of the typical tags and stencils, but also whimsical, abstract creatures which jump out to confront you at every corner. As is typical with street art, there are probably many inside jokes here that I am not party to. While sharing an irreverent, anything-goes mentality with LA street art, the examples I saw in Tel Aviv seemed more playful rather than sardonic. Here are a few of the particularly cool examples of art that I saw.














No comments:

Post a Comment