Friday, March 10, 2017

Making Contacts, Getting Excited!


I have not made contact with the Timna team yet, but I had a wonderful Skype conversation last week with Beverly Goodman, a marine archaeologist who works at (among other places) a site called Caesarea. This is a (mostly) Roman site between Haifa and Tel Aviv.  Google says it was the second largest port in the ancient Mediterranean world.

I am hoping to work with Dr. Goodman to do some underwater video documentation and/or help edit some of their existing video and/or to help translate their 3D data into visualizations that tell a story.

One thing Dr. Goodman is working on is looking at how an ancient Roman sewer pipe at Caesarea connects to an ancient aqueduct. She is also looking at the tsunami stories of this ancient port city.  We discussed how 360 video, VR, AR could help to tell such a story.

Most of the ancient port at Caesarea is less than 30 feet underwater, which is well within the limits my beginner scuba skill level.  I am 3/4 of the way to my certification here on the Central Coast. It's been a bit slow going because we had to reschedule a couple of dives due to winter storms.   --and then there was a virulent campus bug going around and I got congested.  Don't attempt to dive with clogged ears.  Bad idea! But hopefully after finals, I will back in that 54 degree ocean of our, dreaming of the 82 degree seas of Israel!

This week I will speak with Dr. Goodman again, and hopefully reach the Timna Park team so that I can plan my time with them as I explore the archaeoacoustics of the ancient Egyptian copper mines and Hathor chapel there.


No comments:

Post a Comment