Thursday, June 22, 2017

Hathor and the Canaanites


Well it has been an exciting two days.  Not only am I now prepped for our trip to Israel with a new 64 gig high speed SD card, a new 4 terabyte hard drive, and a canister of electrolyte drink powder for the hot desert...

A good article and good news landed in my inbox.

The article, from the Archaeological Institute in America, is about the abundance of Egyptian artifacts in Canaanite lands, including Israel and Palestine.  Most interesting, however, given my interest in Hathor, is that, according to this article, Hathor was the only Egyptian deity that the Canaanites worshipped.  I am not sure why they embraced her, since it seems the Egyptians were colonizers in Canaan.  But supposedly they did.  It seems there is rich territory to explore here:

http://www.archaeology.org/issues/262-1707/features/5627-jaffa-egypt-canaan-colony 


The good news--EXCELLENT news--is that one of the Timna archaeologists I am interested in meeting will be excavating near the Hathor chapel there while I am there in July.  This is a delightful surprise because they normally work on site in the spring.  I figured at most we would get together for coffee and discussion.  Instead, I will witness them working in action, and perhaps they can make use of my documentary skills.

Watching videos of their work, they look like such a fun group.  I am eager to meet them.  And I will, of course, share my electrolyte drink mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grDIXpad9D4 


  Finally, if anyone is interested in my proposed work for Timna, here is a 24 page methodology paper detailing the interests I am weaving together (archaeology, sound studies, somatics and the phenomenology of space), what I am hoping to explore, address, discover, what thinkers I am looking to:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwIPqSglYbJ2dUt3bHMyNU9ZcTQ/view?usp=sharing



No comments:

Post a Comment