Monday, April 3, 2017

I will be able to SEE!  --and share in 360 degrees even.



It was a frenetic spring break, but among my many tasks accomplished beyond doing my 
taxes...

I got prescription lenses for my scuba goggles!  Now I will actually be able to SEE under water!  --and see my teacher when I finish up my dive certification in April.  (It has been slow going because of our stormy winter here in California.  Lots of rescheduling due to choppy seas.)

I also took a leap over break and ordered a 360 Fly video camera from B&H.  I am interested in immersive environments and embodiment, so video installation, AR, VR.  And now video is catching the wave.  360-degree video creates an immersive environment for Google Cardboard, Vibe, et cetera.  

If I like this camera, which I can use it as-is at Timna and on land at Caesarea, I am eager to get an underwater housing, which is far far cheaper than the underwater housing I have from my DSLR. Then I can document underwater excavations at Caesarea in 360 to create the feeling of actually being IN the ocean.

Point of specificity:  This camera is actually 360-degrees on the x-axis, but only 240 on the z-axis.  There is a blind spot where the "ground" would be if you were to shoot standing on land and holding it upright.  But for the price, that's still really good.  To get full 360 for good resolution 4K video, not only are you talking a lot of money, you are talking a jump rig that would be extremely difficult to travel with.  

Other news: I will be tele-meeting with my marine archaeology contact in Caesarea soon, but as of our last chat, she was scheduling excavations for late July when I will be there.  So I should get to document actual action.  --and maybe a new discovery!







No comments:

Post a Comment