Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Bucket list item - complete!

My thesis research is on geochemical proxy development for paleoceanography and my personal interests tend more toward geology than chemistry
                                        (if you think of geochemistry like wind patterns, I'm more GGC than GCC).

Therefore, I tend to chill with a lot of paleo people (oceanographers, not the diet) and they are pretty awesome. However, they always bemoan the tedium that is picking forams. To blend in, I always use my limited knowledge of foram picking to empathize with them. My limited knowledge comes from calibrating my columns, which was done while crushing podcasts late into the night in Earth & Marine Science building. Often, the only other people in the building at this time of night were foram pickers. So, I had a good idea of the time consuming nature of their work and its repetitiveness.

But... empathizing with somebody over foram picking when you've never actually picked a foram always felt cheap to me.

So... I added 'pick a foram' to my bucket list.

Today, Ariel (a student from Dalhousie) made that happen for me!

A picture of my foram up close

#29 - G. ruber

The wizard and her wand of choice

Action shot

For more pictures like those from my blog posts, check out my IG @TheKauaiKemist

No comments:

Post a Comment