Sunday, June 7, 2015

Packing Essentials For Israel

What To Bring Beyond Equipment

When preparing for any research trip, I often get so wrapped up in my equipment list, worried I will forget something vital to the experiment, I tend to forget personal items of importance.  I have five tooth brushes in my bathroom, just because I am constantly forgetting to pack a toothbrush for a trip. I accumulate them as souvenirs.  While I can usually rough it for a week of research if I forget something of personal importance, I am taking this two month trip to Israel much more seriously on the personal item packing, weighing what I need to bring, what I want to bring, and the climate of Eilat.  I've made a list of items that might not usually make it into my suitcase, which I share here.






















(A) First on my list of essentials for Israel are Columbia dry fit pants, which can transform into shorts.  These pants are guaranteed to keep me cool and dry while outside conducting fieldwork in 100+ Fahrenheit heat, and they will protect my legs from chemical spills in the lab.  

(B) Second on my list are dry fit shirts and sandals for leisure time.  Just because a clothing item is practical doesn't mean it has to be ugly.  I am sure these items will keep me comfy while cooking, dinner, doing laundry, or heading to the famous beaches of Eilat. 

(C) Third on my list is a waterproof, drop-proof camera.  Working on coastal ocean research, I need a camera I do not have to fret over every time a drop of water lands on it.  This camera ensures my blog posts will be filled with photos, whether the posts are about our research or about our days off.

(D) Next up is a small bottle of moisturizer.  Eilat is in a dessert.  I will only be there two months and this bottle is just long enough to ensure I don't suffer from chapped hands while there.

(E) Along with moisturizer comes makeup with SPF 15 built right in.  When the sun is intense, I can burn in 20 minutes.  That can be a trip around the corner to the grocery store.  Make up with built in sun protection ensures I stay sunburn free.  I may leave the house without sunscreen, but I will never leave without makeup.

(F) Sunscreen, Eilat's a dessert with lots of hiking and ocean activities, not to mention my outdoor fieldwork.  Need I say more?

(G) This small little white box contains a set of universal power converters.  With it I can power my laptop and phone anywhere in the world.  It was not until I went to Spain recently I learned how essential such a small item can be.

(H) A CD called In-Flight Hebrew, pretty much everyone in Israel, especially in Eilat, speaks some English.  However, I figure I am going to be there for two months so I might as well try to learn the native language.  When will I have another opportunity to get so much practice in?

That's it for this list.  Be sure to check back in the future as we continue to update our blog.  It is sure to be especially active once we get to Israel in July. 



No comments:

Post a Comment