Monday, July 27, 2015

Thirsty in the Desert

I spend a lot of time in the supermarket (not grocery store mind you).  I go to the supermarket almost everyday as veggies and bread do not seem to stay good as long as in the states.  I have to buy smaller amounts more often.  Eventually on every trip to the supermarket I wind up starring at the drink section.  I have become mesmerized by all the exotic drink choices readily available.  I probably spend more time in the drink area than any other part of the supermarket reading labels (or at least trying to decipher what they mean).  To share my captivation, I pulled out the the refrigerator some my my more favorite varieties for a photo and description.

From left to right:

Goldstar and Goldstar Unfiltered Dark are the most common mass produced beers of Israel.  Their lager like flavors make them suited for this warm climate.

Tempo Punk Tonic is a pink colored (although hard to see here) sweet tonic water, flavored with some fruit I have yet to decipher.  The label only says "natural flavors", still it provides a delicious light fizz which is apparently perfect with vodka as the advertising claims.

Spring Tropical Fruit Soft Drink is bright orange.  I haven't actually tried it yet.  I just bought it today lured by the fact that it is a soda with many fruit juices and purees, including mango, passion fruit, and banana.  My hopes are high for this one.

Strawberry Banana Punch Milk is actually Joe's.  He seems to like it.  I like the name and the fact that it is super pink,

Lychee Flavored Aloe Vera Juice is part juice part chunky pieces of slime.  I know a lot of people who think aloe drinks are gross, but I find them refreshing as they seem to hold onto cold better than most other beverages.  I guess I also like to get a few chews of aloe chunks with every sip.

Schwepps' Bitter Lemon is a not really sweet not really bitter lemon soda.  It is somewhat along the lines of the punk tonic water but a different fruit.  I like it, but my favorite lemon drink is. . .

Mint Lemonade is everywhere.  I had mint lemonade ice cream last night from an ice creamery on the boardwalk.  McDonalds sells mint lemonade slushies.  I'm addicted to the homemade version, but in a pinch the store bought stuff will do.  Luckily this one should be easy to replicate once I get back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment