Monday, July 13, 2015

First dive in the Red Sea

My project here in Eilat involves collecting coral samples from the Red Sea. To do so, I need a permit from the Israel Nature and Park Authority that was requested by my collaborator Dr. Maoz Fine.  

The dive center operated by the Interuniversity Institute for Marine Science is conveniently located right on the beach, close to the coral reef.


IUI Dive Center


In order to dive at IUI, I had to present my diving certification, proof of insurance and my dive log book.  I also had to do a check dive with the diving safety officer. 

The check dive consisted of regular exercises you learn in a normal diving course, such as removing your mask and regulator (the device that you put in your mouth to breath), retrieving your regulator and clearing your mask of water while you are underwater (you do this by blowing through your nose). I also had to dive for a while without my mask on and I had to show I can control my buoyancy at different depths. Also, you must be very careful with your fins to avoid touching the corals.

I dove for 20 minutes at a maximum depth of 12 metres. My first impression of the area is that it gets really deep really fast. There are plenty of fish and corals right by the shore so you can just snorkel from the beach to see them. Last week we snorkeled there and I was amazed by the amount of colorful fish! I’m looking forward to my next dive, which will be this Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment