Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Rules for Driving in Israel

I like driving.  It gives me something to do on trips and makes me feel like I am in control, not to mention I am good at it.  Our rental car is in my name, and as such I wind up driving the most.  This was my first time driving abroad, and at first I was nervous.  However, I soon got the flow of things and now understand the Israeli Rules of the Road which I share here.  

Rule #1: Learn to Jump the Curb
This rule I actually find rather fun, so long as I am driving something smaller than our massive mini van.  When the streets are narrow (like everywhere) and cars idle or double park for 2 hours (again as happens everywhere) there is simply no choice but to jump the curb of the median or sidewalk to get around the jam up and on my way.  The first time I jumped the cub was when picking up a small rental car in Eilat.  The employees instructed me to get the car out of the parking area I had to drive 100 ft down the sidewalk with half the car on the curb.  Soon after, I found myself jumping curbs like a taxi (a professional if you will) and moving around the city way more easily.
Some cars parked in Eilat with two wheels fully on the curb.

Rule #2: Buses Always Have the Right of Way
It does not matter if you technically have the right the way.  The buses will force you off the road or into the center square of the round-a-bout if they want in.  After the first two times this happened back to back driving in Jerusalem, I found giving the buses ample space is much less frustrating and scary.  Having ridden a few buses to the research center in the morning, I can say it is not less scary on the bus than outside of it.
Th aggressive buses of Jerusalem.  We are giving them plenty of space as can be seen in the photo.

Rule #3: Don't Try to Drive in the Old City of Jerusalem
I tried it not of my choice and only wound up distressed.  The streets of the Old City were not made for cars.  Do not try to drive in unless you want to waste hours of your time and start banging the steering wheel in distress.  Park outside the city walls in one of the many parking lots and walk.  The Old City is tiny and it does not take long to walk across the entire complex.
Posing angrily on the street of the Old City that the previous day had me pounding on the steering wheel due to insane drivers and pedestrians in close quarters.  This photo was taken on Shabbat, the sabbath when most Jews in Jerusalem refrain from driving.  As such the road is much calmer.


Rule #4: Stay to the Right Except to Pass
I must give Israeli drivers their due.  They are exceptionally good at keeping this rule, and traffic on major highways is so much better because of it.  I cannot express how efficient it is.  I know we are supposed to keep the rule in the USA, but I have never seen it successfully enacted.  

Rule #5: Don't Let Horns Rattle You/Don't Get Angry About Being Honked at
Israeli drivers love to honk.  I find it better off if I just ignore them.  They can Rule #1 jump the curb and go around.  Many times when I am stopped (when I am usually honked at) it's because I have no where I can move my massive van to or I am waiting for someone to finish getting in the van and cannot yet move.  

Rule #6: Don't Stop at Check Points Unless You Are Told To
Most cars do not get stopped at checkpoints and are just waved through.  By all means slow down and be friendly and respectful if you are stopped.  Do not however hold up traffic unnecessarily by stopping if not told to do so.  I haven't yet met an unfriendly guard at a check point.

Some friendly check point IDF soldiers who let us take their photo after our van was stopped on the way home from Jerusalem.

As an aside keep in mind most Israelis speak very good English and are more then willing to give directions and spot you while parallel parking your massive van.  So don't be afraid to ask for help.  

No comments:

Post a Comment